What is a library volunteer?
An individual who assists with the work done at the Library without promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation for services rendered. Library volunteers enhance rather than replace the work of Leverett Library staff, enriching the Library's programs and service. A volunteer is not an employee of the Leverett Library or the Town of Leverett.
Volunteer placement is based on the needs of the library at any given time, qualifications of a volunteer applicant, volunteer's ability to commit to a schedule, and the availability of staff time to supervise volunteers. The Library cannot guarantee the placement of any person seeking to volunteer with the library and has the right to reject any application without cause. The Library welcomes volunteer applicants at least 18 years of age or older.
All volunteer applicants must complete a volunteer application form. Forms are available at the library's circulation desk or on the library website. Applications will be reviewed by the Library Director and the applicant will be contacted whether or not there is a volunteer position available at that time. If there is no suitable opportunities available, applications will be kept on file for 12 months.
All applicants must be willing to undergo a Criminal Offender Record Inquiry (CORI) and/or a Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check.
Volunteer Restrictions and Procedures
- Volunteers must sign in and sign out to begin and end their work day.
- A Library Volunteer badge must be work when the library is open during their shift.
- Volunteers will not be allowed to work the library's circulation system or access the patron database. Librarians' professional ethics require that personally identifiable information about library users must be kept confidential.
- Volunteers must give reasonable notice if they are unable to report to their volunteer shift. Volunteers will be notified if the library is going to be closed for any reason during their shift.
- Volunteers are expected to act in accordance with library policies.
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not permit an individual to perform hours of volunteer service for a public agency when such hours involve the same type of services which the individual is employed to perform for the same public agency.
- The volunteer and the library have the right to end the volunteer's work with the library at any time.
Approved by Library Trustees May 2021